18 February 2021

Living

 

My friend died today. I'd never met her in person, only online. 

Despite severe limitations of enduring stage 4 cancer during the COVID pandemic, Bex knew how to live. She inspired me (I hate to say someone with cancer is an inspiration as that is intensely annoying - they are just getting on with it, as anyone would). But Bex did inspire me. She showed me how to live.

She planned her funeral a few months ago. She wanted to be ready and not leave loose ends undone. 

Despite pain and breathlessness and the other seemingly endless side effects of having cancer, she got on with her life. Bex knew how to live. She went for walks, enjoyed friends (socially distanced of course) and appeared to squeeze every drop of joy out of each day. 

I will hugely miss Bex. It heartened me to interact with her on social media. She didn't gloss over her problems and fought to make known that 31 people per day die of stage 4 breast cancer in the UK #Iamthe31. 

For the last few weeks I've been looking out for Bex's posts on Instagram each evening. I'm going to miss our online chat tonight. I'm sorry for myself but glad for her, so glad for her. She is no longer living here but enjoying fullness of life in paradise. 

Rest in peace, Bex. See you soon 💜

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute to your friend. I'd love to know more about her and ways that she inspired you. I don't think she'll be resting, I believe she'll be having the time of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have met her yourself Martin: Bex Lewis from ACW. She was a lovely, warm-hearted person. Yes, I agree she will be having the time of her life now!

    ReplyDelete